- the proposer asking the father or parents of the proposee for his/their permission or blessing to marry the proposee
- the proposal is a surprise
- the proposer getting down on one knee
- the proposer presenting a ring
- the proposer asking, “Will you marry me?” 1,2
If any of the elements are missing, especially if there is no ring, then outsiders might think the engagement is not legitimate or the relationship itself is weak.1,3 Although people who are less traditional are fine with not having a ring, many think that the lack of a ring indicates a lack of sincerity on the part of the proposer. 1 Where did the notion that there needs to be a diamond ring start?